Tactical Data Link Executive Overview
An Executive Overview (EO) of Link 16, 22, Variable Message Format (VMF) and Joint Range Extension Application Protocol (JREAP)
The TDL EO has been designed to provide a concise high-level appraisal of Link 16, 22, Variable Message Format (VMF) and Joint Range Extension Application Protocol (JREAP). It is primarily aimed at both Programme Managers and those wishing to receive an introduction to each subject. Firstly, the day will focus on a brief outline of what Link 16 provides, the TDL for many Australian Defence Force platforms. An insight in to what JREAP provides and how it supports an extension to Link 16 operations. The Link 16 session will end with discussion on Link 16 Enhancements/Modernisation Programme, and some of the complexities of Block Upgrade 2 v MIDS Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS). The focus will then switch to Link 22, a secure radio system that provides Beyond Line-Of-Sight (BLOS) communications and arguably the TDL of choice for Royal Australian Navy assets in the future. Finally, the day will end with a high-level appraisal of VMF to discuss some of the challenges involved before ending on Air-Land VMF operational use.
Defence, Australian Public Service and industry/contractor personnel managing TDL projects.
- Understand the key TDL technologies.
PowerPoint Presentation/Workshop. Visual, Oral, Verbal, Physical (where applicable), Logical, Social (interpersonal) and Solitary (intrapersonal).
- Ability to recognise the benefits and potential drawbacks of employing one TDL over another
- Discussion on Australian Multi-TDL Operations
- Link 22 v JREAP for BLOS Operations
- Block Upgrade 2 v MIDS JTRS-which is more suitable?
- Air-Land Close Air Support Message Exchange
- Introduction to Link 16
- MIDS Link 16 Enhancements-Block Upgrade (BU) 2 v MIDS JTRS
- Introduction to Joint Range Extension Application Protocol (JREAP)
- Introduction to Variable Message Format (VMF)
- Introduction to Link 22
- Discuss DACAS scenario and VMF v Link 16
NOTE: Courses are subject to cancellation if insufficient student numbers.
You will be notified a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the course commencement.
You will not be charged until the course is confirmed.